Changing your residence from a high-tax state (think NY, NJ & CA) to a low, or no-tax state (think FL), can dramatically reduce the amount of state taxes you have to pay. But high-tax states don't let their residents go easily. If you continue to maintain any connection to the former residence (think snowbirds), the high-tax state may contest that you truly changed your residence. In this presentation, you will learn how New York determines a taxpayer's residency and how to make New York respect your residency change.
* Concrete steps necessary to change your permanent residence to Florida.
* Tips for dealing with New York's statutory residency rules.
* How do you count a "day" for purposes of NY's 183 day rule?
* Common traps for the unwary practitioner.
* Techniques used by auditors to identify and investigate residency cases.
May 22, 2018
Monroe County Bar Center for Education
Professional Practice Credits: 2.00
You must be logged in to access MCBA Subscriptions.
To continue, you need to log in to FastCLE.com. If you have any questions about your account please contact us at 1-866-702-3278.
Full Price: $110.00